Saturday, October 13, 2012

One thing led to another

If only you could have seen the grass, or should I say dirt, after I was done. A recent failed outing to the golf range got me thinking about the mental game of golf. I had just enough "spare" time to make it to the golf range this particular day to hit a bucket of balls. I was feeling confident and ready to see what I could do. Every time I go it's always a different experience from the last and I never know what to expect with my swing.  I should have known it wasn't going to be so good when I hit every red light on the way there. I could feel my blood pressure rising and my patience dwindling at each light.

I made it to an open spot and got my shoes on and was ready. After a few practice swings I dumped the balls out and set up for round one. It wasn't so bad, I hit most of the balls and didn't get any dirt (in my book that is a success). Feeling good I set up another one. I heard a loud thud next to me and I saw the guys ball go rolling out a few feet in front of us and I heard a distinctive curse word. Trying not to do the same I thought about my first shots and I still had confidence. I decided I would try and really hit the ball, I mean strike it with a passion and really get that ball out there. I had always been so focused on my form and everything on the checklist I got from my trainer that I never get the chance to really drive it home. Not the best idea I've ever had, I have never seen dirt and grass fly so far. I am pretty sure I heard the guy next to me chuckle a little while I cursed and hit my club on the ground. Karma.

After that attempt I tried to get back to what I was doing before concentrating on the importance of the grip, stance, and swing. But everything I did wouldn't help. I was stuck in that mentality and didn't want to send grass flying again. The more frustrated I got the worse my game was. I literally took a seat and just relaxed for a second. In that moment I started thinking about the mental part of golf. So I hit the rest of my bucket of balls with anger and frustration. I knew what I would be doing when I got home. 

I started reading Mind Training for Golf Tip which lists some things NOT to do:

  1. Don't have any negative thoughts in your head because one negative thought will ruin everything, like I found out this day especially. "we attract what we fear" and if you think you will choke you most likely will. 
  2. Once the bad shot is over, don't dwell on it. "...mentally move on, delete it and forget it."
  3. "feel mentally ready to hit each shot" don't just rush to make the shot if your not feeling good or perfect about the set up.
After reading about what not to do I realized I was doing all of those things and that is what contributed to my poor performance at the range. I am beginning to realize how much the mental side of the game plays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment