Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mentally failing.


The mental game seems to be the hardest for me. I am brought back to that horrible day at the range and I remember my thoughts just ruining the whole experience. They were prancing around in my head and kept me from playing like I normally do. Once I hit a couple bad balls in a row, it was game over. 


Why can't golf or any sport just be about the physical aspect? To stay positive mentally through out the game is so hard. It's hard to just forget about a horrible shot when setting up for another one. When in those moments I try and think of everything I have been reading about staying out of the grey area in my mind. 

I learned something new when reading about the brain and it's functions during a game of golf. The title sums it up best: "Your left brain is a lousy golfer." The article talks about the functions split into two sides of the brain and how we need both to be able to golf, but one is much better at the athletics and the other at analyzing the situations. 

"You need good Left Brain ability to gather all the data, figure out what shot to play, what target to hit to, etc. You need good Right Brain ability to actually play the shot, to be athletic over the ball."

Now I realize that my left-brain was getting the best of me. I was letting it over analyze the situation and take over for my athletic side, that must be the answer to my problems. 






No comments:

Post a Comment