Wednesday, September 19, 2012

First Lesson


1. Grip
2. L to L
3. Squish the Bug

My very first golf lesson with Golf Tec was extremely intimidating. I had never held a golf club before let alone swung and tried to hit a ball. Steve showed me the grip (which is much more complicated than just holding it) and told me to swing. I didn’t even hit the ball of course and it was recorded on a monitor right in front of me so we could watch it over and over in regular time and in slow motion to evaluate and break down everything I was doing. It was awful to say the least, but I could only get better from here. He told me to bring the club back and make an L shape with my arms and the club keeping my left arm straight. When following through make another L shape on the other side of my body. There was a lot to remember and do all at once. I never said golf was easy but I didn’t think there would be so much to think about. We practiced without a ball (phew) for about 20 minutes just to get the swing down and the next thing I know I was comfortable enough to try to hit the ball. The best advice he gave me was to not think about hitting the ball but to just concentrate on the swing. Last lesson of the day taught to me by Jesse, was to follow through and “squish the bug” with my back foot. Lesson one was a success. Now on to the driving range!

No comments:

Post a Comment